- To make the marinate crush together Cardamom seeds, cumin seeds and pepper corns and add to a clean bowl.
- Into the bowl add the yogurt, ginger, garlic, garam masala, turmeric, salt, chilli powder, ground coriander and mint leaves.
- De-seed and chop the chilli and chop the coriander and add to the marinate.
- Cut the chicken into slices and mix into the marinate, cover and refrigerate for 1~3 hours.
- While the chicken is marinating soak the basmati rice in cold water (for at least 1 hour).
- Drain the basmati rice and put on a saucepan of water to boil.
- When boiled add the cooking oil and then the rice and cook for about 7 minutes (or until half cooked) and drain.
- Peel and slice an onion and brown on a pan for 2~3 minutes.
- Add the saffron to about 10~20 mls of water and leave for about 5~10 minutes.
- Into a large non-stick pot (with a fitted lid) add the chicken and marinate, layer the onions over the marinate and then place the basmati rice on top.
- Spoon on the saffron colored water onto the rice.
- Place the lid onto the pot and cook on high for 5 minutes then reduce the heat and cook on medium for 15 minutes and on low for a further 15~20 minutes (or until the chicken is cooked through).
- Serve hot
Try our delicious riatarecipe as a perfect accompaniment for your chicken biryani!